Monday, December 7, 2009

Holiday Gift #3: Cake Cookies Yum!

After last week's slightly complex gift (but no really, it's easy!), I give you the easiest cookie recipe of all time.

Cake Cookies

1 box cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 c. veggie oil

Roll the dough into golf sized balls.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Done and done.

[Check at 8 and see how the bottoms are doing. If they are a golden brown, take them out! Then transfer them off of the baking sheet as soon as you can. You'll get a perfectly chewy cookie every time. Leave them in too long and they'll be good, but nowhere near the cakey consistency you really love.]

My own experience with this recipe started with Lemon Cake Cookies.


So I used lemon cake mix, but also added some lemon zest and juice 'cuz I'm fancy like that. I rolled the balls in some powdered sugar pre-baking, and dusted the cookies with more powdered sugar post-baking.

I took these cookies to an even greater level when I made a batch of Big Fat Faux'reos.

I used a dark chocolate cake mix and then whipped together the following Faux'reo Filling:

1/4 c. (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 c. Crisco
2 c. confectioners’ sugar
2 tsps vanilla extract

Beat the butter and shortening on low.
Gradually adding the sugar and vanilla.
Switch on over to high and beat for a couple minutes until frosting is fluffy and scrumptious.

Even if you don't have a piping bag thing, I spooned the frosting into a large ziplock, cut off the bottom tip, and piped the dreamy and delicious cream onto the cookies that way.

Seriously, these are like Double Stuf Oreos to the max.

So yep! The possibilities are endless! Chocolate cake cookies with peanut butter chips. Red velvet cake cookies with white chocolate chips. Get crazy and add a can of pumpkin puree to a box of spice cake mix and throw in a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg! Not only are these cheap (sometimes cake mix is a dollar, c'mon!), talk about your easy way out of Christmas cookies this year. I mean EVERYONE makes those peanut butter cookies with the Hershey kiss on top. Snore!

3 comments:

  1. Shoot, this is how easy those cookies are? But they taste so fabulous! (Ummmmm lemonnnnn.) Are you bringing some for Christmas Eve? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those all look killer, but I can't bake shit. I'm better at eating cookies. I can beat up a box of Girl Scout cookies in one sitting. No lie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so drooling right now!!!! Even though I'm not doing the cookie party - I may still make the lemon cookies to bring to Christmas. YUMMERS!

    ReplyDelete