Tuesday, December 1, 2009

'Tis the Season...

...but how the heck am I going to pay for it?! Well, cheap and/or homemade gifts don't have to be cliché and lame. If you truly put some thought into them, something that cost you $5 to put together could mean more than that shiny new PS3. Or at least Even Stevens.

Today is December 1st, and more or less the beginning of the Christian celebration of Advent. Advent has been non-religiousized over the years, however, when retail stores found they could market Advent calendars as a basic--and delicious--way to countdown to the big 25. Hanukkah and Kwanza and even the Winter Solstice are non-Christian ways to celebrate the season as well. What's my point? Well whatever your faith or nonfaith, for the next month, I'm going to celebrate a random "Ten Days of Holiday Cheer" (choosing "ten" because it rests gently between the 12 Days of Christmas and 8 Crazy Nights). In these upcoming ten posts, I'll discuss a fun, and hopefully less cliché, cheap and/or homemade holiday gift to unveil to your loved one (and again, all of these work just as well for brothers as they do boyfriends!)

I shall begin with...
Gift Number One: The Coupon Book.

Yes, this would be the lamest of the homemade gifts, but as I just suggested, it doesn't have to be if you put some personalized thought into it. Forget the coupons for backrubs, BJs, and bubble baths. Be creative! How about a free oil change?! Ok, not creative per se, but one gloomy Saturday afternoon at the next 5K mile mark, the love of your life may or may not find herself unemployed and that free oil change, while not necessarily the most romantic gesture in the world, could really help her out of a small jam. Or how about a coupon that states: "YOU make the coffee!" He's been dragging himself out of bed every morning for the past five years to make YOU coffee before work. Imagine the laughter in his eyes when you offer your coffee-making services for once!

Now here's a little secret: At the end of the day, what the Coupon Book REALLY does is influence a sense of empathy for the person you love. It allows you to, for a moment, walk a mile in his or her shoes and imagine the kinds of things that would make life a little easier. It encourages you think about ways in which you could help more--and because positives lead to more positives--vise verse. Because basically it all comes down to the little things in life. Sometimes the most seemingly unromantic gestures can totally make a person's day, week, month, or year! Whether it's doing the grocery shopping that week or offering a ride to work or school, it is kind and helpful, and that is always romantic. Coupon books can be funny little ways to say: Hey, I recognize that you do so much for me, so let me return the favor. Who knows? Maybe in time, you won't even need coupons at all ;)

5 comments:

  1. Way to take a pretty cliched idea and cut to the awesomeness of it, Katesi! It really IS all about the empathy. Just going through the exercise of thinking about what to give for coupons can make a huge difference in a relationship. The other day I joked about a coupon for turning on more lights at home (which Davie as you know hates). Yesterday when I got home from work, he turned on the kitchen light that we never use, so I could easily see the mail! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little things are all that matter. It means way more to me when Manny suprises me by offering to let the dog out early in the morning than another small kitchen appliance does. AND let us not forget the simple and cheap gifts are the best, too. Last year Manny bought me 4 of the "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" books, and that meant more than any jewlery he has given me. It meant he really paid attention to what I liked, without me having to make a list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @mom: That IS really sweet!! And I bet it meant something to David that you noticed too :)

    @Sarah: Aw!! And like I just said, you probably made Manny's day when you were so excited about those books!

    It's easy to get all lost, thinking extravagance is the way to go...and of course there's ALWAYS a time and a place for extravagance ;) But I really like these stories of simple gestures and presents. I want a book of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Ken and the GF are probably going to exchange books like that. Mine will probably have some bomb things on there for her:
    I'll clean the litter box
    I'll drive you to work on a Saturday morning
    I'll cook you dinner AND do the dishes

    Shit like that.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! See that's what I'm talkin' about! Especially the part about cooking AND the dishes...that's GOLD!!

    ReplyDelete