Friday, November 20, 2009

gobble gobble...

...or should I say "robble robble?" Personally I can't stop thinking of food, and it has anything and everything to do with Thanksgiving on the horizon. Well I'm going to combine this particular blog post into two things that have nothing to do with each other: T'Gives and Micky D's. Hopefully they remain that way because even this cheap-ass lady isn't having Thanksgiving dinner at McDonald's. But you know what's fun? Giving thanks for living in a country with cheap treats like McDonald's two-for-a-dollar pies and 49¢ cones*.

*Now I recently visited the bright lights of Vegas where McDonald's cones were 50¢ each, so prices are subject to change, most likely in places like NYC, Hawaii, Alaska, and additional sticks in the mud. I also don't know the prices of pies and cones in Europe or Asia, so perhaps expand your thanks to the entire world.

Over the summer, the BF and I would frequent McDonald's for a 49¢ cone. In fact, we'd have to stop at different McDonaldses in order to sample the subtle differences in each delectable cone. (There are no differences, but it doesn't hurt to pretend now does it?) These treats aren't that good for you, it's true, but sometimes it's nice to just pull on over, rummage through the sticky change inside the cup holders, purchase a couple cones, and sit on the hood of your car like it's the '50s. "Simpler times," you say to each other, "simpler times."

Meanwhile, this fall I discovered the glory that is the McDonald's PUMPKIN pie (see, Thanksgiving was around here somewhere). Probably even worse for you, but how can you go wrong when they give you two for a dollar? PERFECT to share with a friend! And if the scent of a McDonald's pie doesn't get you going, I don't know what will.

But I digress. Fast food gets a pretty bad rap, and I'm actually on the healthier side of things. But if you manage to keep the concept of eating fast food to a dull roar, than there's no harm in a cheap treat here and there. Especially when you're out on various boring errands and you spontaneously decide it's time to "Cone it up! Yay for cones!!"

So perhaps when you're out there slaving away to the beat of the Black Friday drum, try to burgle a moment to enjoy a cone or pie...or both?! Remember the McDonald's apple pie a la mode? A pie, two dollops of ice cream, caramel, nuts? Apparently I must have dreamt this thing up because I can't find a lick of anything via google.

Anyway, are there any fast and cheap treats I'm missing out on? Throw me a comment!

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of T-day, what I've always appreciated about it is that the traditional foods are all so low cost. Turkey is about the cheapest meat you can buy, and squash, pumpkin, apples, cranberries, potatoes, carrots, onions, all those traditional ingredients are cheap too. I'm thankful for the cheap good foods God put on the earth! And for our family's menu, which I just wrote on the scribbler board and blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True story!! The point of Thanksgiving, besides all them thank you's, is a nice harvest meal, and harvest foods are a dime a dozen. In a good way of course! Who knows? Maybe a slice of real pumpkin pie is even cheaper than McDonald's! Aw MAN it probably is, isn't it?! You foiled me again McDonald's, curse you and your tempting cones and pies!!

    ReplyDelete