Thursday, November 5, 2009

The plot thickens.

You know what's free? Writing something on a piece of paper.

This isn't a cop-out. There's a reason I chose to design the above banner in such a fashion. Love letters, like letters, circle-yes-or-no letters, emails, snail-mails, texts, Facebook comments, Post-it notes, matchbooks, frosty windows, it DOESN'T MATTER! We love, love, LOVE getting stuff with stuff written on it. Ok maybe we love getting 2.61" x 6.14" pieces of paper the color of the foamy sea during a late afternoon thunderstorm, adorned with the heads of political figures and many zeros. But when those are few and far between, the back of a Chinese menu with an I, a heart, and a U may just do the trick.

Honestly though, it really goes back to middle school when we'd fold up notebook paper into the shape of tiny triangles and shove them into the slats of lockers. Didn't it, like, totally make your day? Finding those tiny triangles was like finding precious, precious gold. ESPECIALLY if it was from the hot eighth grader...sighhhh if only. Nowadays, we have our inboxes open 24/7 just in case something particularly fun and surprising comes through. The lovely late '90s romantic comedy featuring the adorable, but feisty Meg Ryan, and the hilarious, but cozy Tom Hanks hit home for a reason (you may or may not be dead inside if you don't cry when she sees Brinkley come over the hill). Its 1940 counterpart did the same thing only old school. Bring back the old school. Hand-written correspondence--particularly of the romantic variety--is something we long for day in and day out.

So I majorly digress. My question is: Would you like to make the best person in the world really really happy right now? Write something. Better yet, write something and hide it somewhere they'll find it. Cereal box, running shoe, car visor, page 189 of a novel they're reading, page 189 of the medical text book that put you guys in the poor house. It's like seriously the simplest, most awesome thing ever. Here's a story of my own: the BF went out of town for the week and asked me to water his plants and take care of his cats (guys with cats are rad by the by). I found a quarter-folded piece of paper taped to the watering can. Even just seeing "Katie" scribbled on the front of it made my heart go all wonky. See???

Ok sure, I may be super easy to please or something. But at the end of the day, less is more (ah yes!) We all love to hear we are loved, and when someone takes the extra time to be creative about it, it means that much more. So trust me on this one. Jot down something sweet and stick it in the frig-drawer full of cold cuts already!

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree, Katie. Josh and I have a whole box beholding our love letters we sent to each other in college! Letters, cards, post cards, drawings, etc... I SO miss doing that stuff, but I'm glad we did it and have it to look back on. We still make it a point to write nice "love letters" inside cards we give each other instead of just signing our names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm that sounds sooo nice!!!! Surpise notes seem to go out the window on move-in-together day! What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a small gesture, which is why I'm sure the concept is so easily forgotten and falls by the wayside. And while I love the boys, they're often pretty clueless when it comes to something of this nature. So hey, I say YOU set the trend! While I wouldn't necessarily bet on him returning the gesture, you never know...these guys can surprise us sometimes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, this is too weird...I just read something else suggesting the same idea this morning (not worded as entertainingly of course) and thought, "Great idea for Katesi's new blog!" Loved reading about it in your special, wonkily-eloquent way though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww I love this post! Natertots and I do this all the time and it never gets old. In fact, just last night we were standing by his front door and he put NA hearts AN on the glass :)

    ReplyDelete